Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

RE: NRA/Valhalla Training Videos

in Strategies, Tactics, Training and preparedness Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:02 am
by Manu2014 | 75 Posts

Buck - I bought the videos like Lucky but stopped as they just kept coming...$20 something a pop got old. They gave me great insight into what to expect at my class so I wasn't "that guy". We had one of those and he left after lunch the second day. I won my training with Aaron Roberts thru a Sportsmans Channel contest. It was held at a range about 45 minutes south of Raleigh near Pinehurst. It was intense and humbling. I have been around guns all my life but never new how to "run" a gun. We learned everything and more that was in the Valhalla videos. I would recommend Rob's training or Arron's training. Arron is in Houston and uses a private range in TX. I really liked Aaron and his no nonsense training style. I have never seen his TV show Handguns but from the comments Runs and others made, he is much different in person. His professional history would give him latitude with his attitude but he was very personable in person. Aaron Roberts - 757-705-0505 - tacticalshootingsolutions@gmail.com. It looks like he is still working on his web site by the same name but shoot him an email if you have questions. I have a few pics in my gallery from the training.

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. Thoreau

Last edited Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:04 am | Scroll up

in Strategies, Tactics, Training and preparedness Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:00 am
by buck | 28 Posts

Manu,
thanks. I will look him up. So you trained with Rob and Aaron? If so , which would you choose and why?

clint

I'm warning you, I am a lethal killing machine. It was a secret government experiment. They did stuff to me. Spooky stuff... Anal stuff. It turned me into a dangerous telekinetic. In the words of Ancient Taoist masters, Don't start none... Won't be none.

Scroll up

in Strategies, Tactics, Training and preparedness Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:17 pm
by Manu2014 | 75 Posts

I was trained by Aaron. They are both very similar though. Aaron had his differences but the basics were the same between Rob's videos and Aaron in person. One difference is the orientation of your spare mags in the carrier and how you exchange. I don't think you could go wrong with either but I know that Aaron does not employ any instuctors he does it all himself. The classes would be smaller and more personal. That may change as he grows.

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. Thoreau

Last edited Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:07 pm | Scroll up

in Strategies, Tactics, Training and preparedness Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:05 pm
by luckybychoice | 55 Posts

no shit,they do keep coming,i have 3 sitting on my desk i haven't opened yet,accessorizing your AR,subcompact firearms,and dryfire practice and methodology.I am gonna be well versed after this,oh well,i'm going for my NRA instructors certificate so i will be able to use them in class.

trample the weak,hurdle the dead

Scroll up

in Strategies, Tactics, Training and preparedness Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:34 am
by runawaygun762 | 48 Posts

I think when you choose a shooting school, there are a few things to take into account; What do you want to learn? Personally, my first choice would be CSAT in Texas or anything taught by Paul Howe, because my training focus is on combat marksmanship rather than civilian concealed carry/home defense.

Having an instructor with 20 years' special ops experience is good if that's the stuff you want to learn, but for the average civilian wanting to learn how to be more effective with his/her concealed weapon, a course taught by an experienced law enforcement officer such as Mid-South, Thunder Ranch, or LFI is probably a better choice.

Instructor credentials need to be thouroughly researched and "combat experience" isn't necessarily a plus. I saw a shooting school featured in SWAT magazine where the owner/instructor was reported to have served in Iraq with the 25th Infantry Division as an armorer. Civilians may see it and think "Ooh, he's an expert with weapons if he's an armorer", but military and law enforcement guys know better.

Something else to take into account is whether you are able to adapt your current technique to what the course teaches. I am not a fan of the Weaver Stance, but I have used it a few times. It's just not as good as the Modified Isoceles for me, so Gunsite would not be a school for me. Now, if you suck at shooting and can't hit shit, then your current technique is obviously not working, so try something new.

I took a couple free courses on Ft Huachuca from Gator Farms Tactical, and the instructor is a certified instructor through Massad Ayoob. He taught a variety of techniques and I ended up learning a couple new tricks, but if it hadn't been free, it wouldn't have been worth it. I say that from the point of view of an experienced shooter who has shot a shitload in military and law enforcement settings, with a couple competitions that I did very well in, but it would have been great for beginners.

Figure out what your training focus is, then start researching schools based on that rather than going to a school that allows you to drop big names in conversation later.

Scroll up

ref="http://www.mybannermaker.com" target="_blank">Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: SueKaler
Board Statistics
The forum has 1146 topics and 2468 posts.

0 members have been online today: