Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

A Long But Cool Gun Story

in Gun Discussion Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:46 pm
by Greasy Paws | 111 Posts

So I go to my friends' gun shop today to drop off some work I had completed.He hands me a 1911A1 and tells me to check it out.He then tells me how his dad found it in a box in a army truck when he drew a truck from a depot during WW2.The gun with 2 mags was brand new and in a pilots holster.His dad wore this gun until 1948 when he came home from Germany.He spoke fluent German so they had him busy after the war talking to german soldiers and finding weapons and shit to crate and send home for our Army to "inspect".When his dad flew home he purchased the gun from the army for $14 dollars and the family has the purchase receipt. My friends mom told him and his brothers to go ahead and pick out firearms from his dad's collection yesterday.His dad had passed on in 2000 and his mom was concerned about the house getting broken into and the guns stolen.So the 4 guys all picked out what they wanted and took them home.So I am looking at this beautiful condition 1911A1 which is in 98 percent condition NRA after this man carried it thru WW2..We decided to see what Blue Book had to say about it.It is blued not parkerized puting it's manufacture prior to 1938.Guns with blue finish and less than serial number 735,000 are worth between 1000-7000 with this gun being 6-7000 range.Then because of its serial number 722xxx they said add 150 percent.Do the math.Very beautiful piece with a cool story behind it.

"My ardent desire is, and my aim has been ... to comply strictly with all our engagements foreign and domestic; but to keep the United States free from political connections with every other country. To see that they may be independent of all, and under the influence of none. In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington, letter to Partick Henry, 1775

Last edited Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:56 pm | Scroll up

RE: A Long But Cool Gun Story

in Gun Discussion Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:50 pm
by Greasy Paws | 111 Posts

pretty neat to hold a nice piece of history like this gun.you guys have seen pics of my Hard Baller and this 1911 made it look rough!

"My ardent desire is, and my aim has been ... to comply strictly with all our engagements foreign and domestic; but to keep the United States free from political connections with every other country. To see that they may be independent of all, and under the influence of none. In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington, letter to Partick Henry, 1775

Scroll up

in Gun Discussion Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:39 pm
by ecaman | 29 Posts

Wow! What a great story. That gun is so rare in that condition. I imagine that most of us would love to have it. However, I wonder - if you came into possession of it, what would you do with it?

Curmudgeon

Scroll up

in Gun Discussion Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:08 am
by Nitris | 94 Posts

Wartime Colt pistols typically sell for anywhere between $500 upwards to nearly three grand. Prior to DCM allowing sales in the 1950's they usually weren't purchased- they were pilfered. That's not to say it wasn't taken care of all these years, because a lot of them still remain in mint shape, and are thus worth at the top end of what I quoted. Just be sure it hasn't taken been dipped in the fountain of youth (rumored to be located somewhere in California). I have collected WW1 and WW2 1911's for a long time, unfortunately college has taken more money than expected therefore I'm down to one 1911...............

State and government officials should be held even to the point of imprisonment liable for the deaths or harm to its citizens when that state or government prohibits them from protecting themselves.

Scroll up

in Gun Discussion Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:58 pm
by Vaquero | 156 Posts

Nitris, that sucks! I fully support your devotion to getting your education, but damn, Is a loan out of the question?
Let me know if you need to sell another one. Seriously.

Scroll up

ref="http://www.mybannermaker.com" target="_blank">Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: SueKaler
Board Statistics
The forum has 1146 topics and 2468 posts.

0 members have been online today: