Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Cast Iron roast.

in Food Forum Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:28 pm
by Vaquero | 156 Posts

Don't try it without cast iron with a lid. I don't know why but it just don't work as well.
Need baby carrots or whole carrots cut to 3" lengths. Several medium to large potatoes. 4 or 5 1/2" onion slices.
Note the weight of your roast, we're gonna cook it 1hr per lb.
Place 1 tbl spoon of oil and thawed roast in cast iron dutch oven on stove top at med,high heat. Add a generous coating of flour to each side and sear each side. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. While the roast is searing, peel and slice potatoes about 1/4 to 1/2" thick. When roast is seared, add carrots, potato slices (just kinda fill the voids around the edges). Place onion slices on top of roast. Add HOT water till almost full. Cover with lid and place in oven for 1hr per lb. Check at 1/2 way point and add HOT water if needed. When done, remove roast, carrots potatoes and onion, keep juices in pan. Place pan on stove top and bring to simmer. Add flour as desired for gravy (too thin aint bad, too thick is......too thick). Slice roast and serve. Get all the carrots you think you want cuz they aint gonna last! Enjoy.

Scroll up

RE: Cast Iron roast.

in Food Forum Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:36 pm
by HampsterW | 461 Posts

That is a winner!!!

Change that you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun!..........Greg AZ........Check! Check! Check!

Scroll up

RE: Cast Iron roast.

in Food Forum Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:40 pm
by Larry W | 158 Posts

I'm for sure gonna try this one, been wanting some cast iron, now I'm gonna go get some

Larry

Scroll up

ref="http://www.mybannermaker.com" target="_blank">Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: CarlosElliott
Board Statistics
The forum has 1148 topics and 2470 posts.

0 members have been online today: