Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Bug out bags

in Strategies, Tactics, Training and preparedness Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:13 am
by HKBauer | 128 Posts

What is in a bug out bag? What is a bug out bag? Do I need a bug out bag? These are common questions on a lot of forums. I will attempt to answer to the best of my ability. First is what is a bug out bag? It is a bag consisting of essential gear for three to seven days in the case of natural disaster (think Katrina), foreign attack, or meltdown of society, for this discussion lets go with the most likely, natural disaster.
Your bag will vary in make compared to the area in which you live, do you live in an urban area were you can join others and pool resources? Would you want too? Or do you live in a rural area where the odds of meeting another person or group of people are slim?
In an urban area I personally would pack dehydrated food, water purification of some sort, a more than basic first aid kit and important meds, dry clothes, a small shovel or e-tool, compass (make sure you know how to use it) and a map of the area. Yes this is very general but you will have to make a bag based on your needs.
In a more rural area I would pack the above mentioned along with a good axe and fire starting material, in an urban area you are more likely to find a sheltered area than in a rural area. In both bags a good knife would be necessary for everything from cutting lines to defending yourself. This is about as inclusive as I will make it because as I said your needs would be based on your area and thoughts.
Now these bags are not to be lived out of for weeks on end these are a short term kit to get you to your next stop or prearranged destination. So Remember K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. if you don't know how to use the stuff dont take it! you can purchase all sorts of gear and first aid kits but if you cant use have of it, it becomes extra weight and takes up space that could be used better. Just my thoughts.

Scroll up

RE: Bug out bags

in Strategies, Tactics, Training and preparedness Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:52 am
by luckybychoice | 55 Posts

BOB should also be in your vehicle,escpecially true if you are a long distance commuter,where you might have to hoof it,turning a routine trip home from work into a 2 day ordeal,the basics in that instance should be food,water,appropriate clothing for the elements,good boots or hiking shoes,and self defense items,communication should also be a consideration depending on distance and availability,i am currently looking at alternate means of communication now,as cell phones are going to be affected while in dead zones or acts of man.

Scroll up

in Strategies, Tactics, Training and preparedness Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:55 pm
by Vaquero | 156 Posts

Most of what is mentioned stays in my truck everyday. Not necessarily in a bag, but it's in the truck.
In response to HK's shelter comment. Rural areas are littered with sheds and barns. Not to mention livestock and game.
If you see a farmhouse that looks inhabited, approach cautiously yet openly. Bartering your surplus or labor for their surplus can work very well. Most are elderly and would likely let you chop wood or some other physical chore.
If you are told to leave, by all means leave!

Scroll up

in Strategies, Tactics, Training and preparedness Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:38 pm
by HKBauer | 128 Posts

thanks for the shelter heads up you would think I would have realized that living in Iowa!

Scroll up

in Strategies, Tactics, Training and preparedness Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:45 am
by Manu2014 | 75 Posts

Picked up the coolest fire starter at the gun show yesterday. The website is www.ultimatesurvivaltools.com I got the large with the wood handle. You can scrape the wood in an emergency if no other tinder is available. It is a take on the tried and true but in a man sized package. That just didn't sound right did it?

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. Thoreau

Scroll up

ref="http://www.mybannermaker.com" target="_blank">Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: SueKaler
Board Statistics
The forum has 1099 topics and 2418 posts.

0 members have been online today: