Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

A little food for thought.

in Gun smithing Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:34 am
by Larry W | 158 Posts

For more than 35 years I have worked on sporting firearms, I was taught by some of the best old gunsmiths that ever set foot in Arizona. Here are a few things I have learned over the years.
I have had, & still do have, many,many people bring me a handgun & say "Action is bad" "Action is rotten"
"Needs an action Job" & On, & On, & On. So, smart ass me, I keep my mouth shut, Try the action, tear into it & see whats up. Just an estimate, but 95% of the time, Guess what? No, a full blown action job IS NOT necessary!!
Might be wanted for bragging rights & such, but most of the time, Not needed.
Most of the time, nothing more than a "complete" Smith tear down & cleaning works wonders, Add in a cursory fluff & buff, ( Slight polish & debur) & things go from "WOW" to Spectacular!! Many, Many times, I have handed a customer back his weapon to Oh's & Ah's & "Wow's. "Hey Larry Man, Fantastic "Action" job." Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. You should see some of the looks, when I hand them the itemized bill, & tell them No, No action Job, just a good cleaning & fluff & Buff. & at a fraction of the cost, They love it.
Think about it, for all you gun nuts out there, in my opinion, this is worth a shot. This is something most anyone can do them self's, given a few tools & a little ability. Firearms are not rocket science, with the exception of some of the new & some of the exotic stuff, & of course Colt Pythons (which are a gunsmithing career all in themselves.)
A word of caution here, Pythons, espically older Pythons, are a completly, handcrafted work of art.
Unless you are highly experienced with Pythons, don't even think about messing with them, Round count maintenance & rebuilds or repair!!!! Unless you are very experienced at working with very small bearing & wear surfaces, under high magnification, with extremely tight tolerances. LEAVE THEM ALONE!! One little tiny screw up & what makes a Python a Python goes away.
Please don't get me wrong, Sometimes a full on action job is the way to go, For most average folks, Not needed. A 1 1/2 or 2 pound trigger, for a night stand weapon, in the hands of a beginner?? Yes I can do you a super job. Will I?? Not a chance!!! Do I recommend that you as a novice try it? No Way!!!
Anyway, unless you "Just have to have an action Job" Try the above suggestion, weather you do it your self, or hire it done, you will be pleasantly surprised!!! Take Care & Be Safe. Larry W

Larry

Scroll up

RE: A little food for thought.

in Gun smithing Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:29 pm
by Vaquero | 156 Posts

Nice post Larry, thanks for the info.

Scroll up

in Gun smithing Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:01 am
by HampsterW | 461 Posts

Great post Larry, very informative!

Change that you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun!..........Greg AZ........Check! Check! Check!

Scroll up

in Gun smithing Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:48 pm
by Nitris | 94 Posts

Larry will you do an action job on my AK??.................ebear was over the other night .......now it sticks................ew............er....is sticky. dirty bastard.

State and government officials should be held even to the point of imprisonment liable for the deaths or harm to its citizens when that state or government prohibits them from protecting themselves.

Scroll up

in Gun smithing Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:04 pm
by Larry W | 158 Posts

Zitat von Nitris
Larry will you do an action job on my AK??.................ebear was over the other night .......now it sticks................ew............er....is sticky. dirty bastard.

Sure I will, Steam clean the thing & soak it in alcohol overnight. Wait a minute!! That sounds like a real good idea for ebear also!!!! LMAO

Larry

Scroll up

in Gun smithing Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:14 pm
by HampsterW | 461 Posts

Sounds like ebear lubed it with his secret sauce...LOL

Change that you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun!..........Greg AZ........Check! Check! Check!

Scroll up

ref="http://www.mybannermaker.com" target="_blank">Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: SueKaler
Board Statistics
The forum has 1099 topics and 2418 posts.

0 members have been online today: