Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Hunted

in Off Topic Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:26 pm
by Vaquero | 156 Posts

I've been replaying the scene in my head since Sam posted the article about the wolves. It's been quite some time and I needed my memory jogged a few times.

1977, I'm 16 and me and my buddy "Rusty" are camping on G Pa's place on the creek.
It's a warm summer night, clear calm. Lots of stars.
Dad grew up on this place, the house where he was raised still stood about 200 yd NE toward the gravel road.
It was always our backup shelter if the weather turned bad overnight. The skeleton key to the door was always just over the door on the door trim.
So, Dad's been telling me about Puma (Cougar, Mountain Lion) that were in the area when he was a kid. Naturally I relay the stories to Rusty around the campfire this particular night.
"Dad says they sound like an old woman screaming" I tell Rusty. I get the usual "yeah right" look.
We settle in to the sleeping bags as the fire begins to die down. Nothing but crickets and frogs to be heard.
A blood curdling scream pierces the night. It came from the south side of the creek! Distance was estimated at 75 to 100 yd. ( a bit of background on me and Rusty. Rusty is a good sized feller. You could call him overweight. Lettered in HS football 3 yrs. Starting lineman, offense and defense. Plenty stout, not fleet of feet.
Me, 2nd string receiver and special teams guy. Head in the clouds most of the time but fast enough to get down field and make the play.) We both jumped up at the same time and stared at each other in the glow of the dying fire. "What should we do?" asked Rusty. " I think we ought to head for the house" I replied.
The second scream came from the same direction, only closer. Rusty bolted (that's the only word that's appropriate) and I took out after him.
At about 1/2 way between the old house and the campsite, there was a 5 strand barbed wire fence. Rusty is a blur and cloud of dust. "Don't forget the fence!" I yelled.
When I reached the fence Rusty is nowhere to be seen and the 3rd scream is heard. It's on our side of the creek and closing. I crossed the fence and ran full speed to the house yelling "Rusty!! Where are you??".
He yells back "I'm on the porch!! Get this damn door open!!" As I leaped on the porch and grabbed the key we heard the final scream at the area of the fence. Once inside and the adrenalin started to subside, I asked Rusty "how did you get through the fence so quick?" He replied "I hurdled it". (OK yall imagine Greasy Paws hurdling a 5 strand barbed wire fence). Needless to say, we stayed the rest of the night in the old house and gathered our gear at daylight. We always carried a gun when camping after that episode.

no fear, no doubt, all in, balls out!

Scroll up

RE: Hunted

in Off Topic Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:07 pm
by Greasy Paws | 111 Posts

oh sure use the fat guy as an example!but I can move out when it is needed.I have jumped a few fences in my day.not gracefully but then I didnt get stuck either so it was a success!LMAO,thanks for triggering THOSE memories Vaq!

"My ardent desire is, and my aim has been ... to comply strictly with all our engagements foreign and domestic; but to keep the United States free from political connections with every other country. To see that they may be independent of all, and under the influence of none. In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington, letter to Partick Henry, 1775

Scroll up

in Off Topic Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:26 pm
by Greasy Paws | 111 Posts

I recall an incident,trying to recover a orange construction sign that said"motorcycles use caution" that would look bad ass in my old shop.The road in front of the house was being repaved so these signs were everywhere.I am out in my shop one night hanging posters and calendars and such when I have this flash of genius... I put on a pair of dark blue overalls and an old camo boony hat.I ride my quad out to the fence between the property and the road.Now I go into "special ops mode".I "hurdle" the fence with a crashing barrel roll into the ditch.In the dark with no flashlight(oops,forgot that tool!) I am bent over in a ditch next to a county road feeling around for a big ass aluminum sign in the ditch.Pitch dark with no moon and no flashlight.Cars drive by once in awhile so I freeze in position and hide my face.I finally find something that feels like the big ass orange "motorcycles use caution" sign in the ditch!I drag me and that "sign" back thru the ditch,thru black berry bushes and 4 strands of barbed wire to my quad.Now at this point I am proud as hell that it only took me minutes to do all this.I tie the "sign" to the front of my quad and ride back to my shop 75 yards away...
I pull up to the roll up door and open it and pull the quad into the shop.After closing the door I find that my "sign" is plywood and not aluminum like I thought.I untie it,flip it over and it is just a old sign from the second hand store that used to be next door.That is what I get for trying to steal a sign on the side of the road!Did I mention that I had been drinking Captain Morgan Rum that night?And that this all happened in about a 2-3 hour time frame?

If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all...

Vaquero mentioned the thought of me "hurdling" a fence and I remember this great adventure...

"My ardent desire is, and my aim has been ... to comply strictly with all our engagements foreign and domestic; but to keep the United States free from political connections with every other country. To see that they may be independent of all, and under the influence of none. In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington, letter to Partick Henry, 1775

Last edited Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 pm | Scroll up

in Off Topic Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:20 am
by HampsterW | 461 Posts

So here is GP, drunk as a skunk, in the pitch black dark of night, hopping fences and rolling around in a ditch for 2-3 hours looking for a road sign..... What a sight I'll bet that was! LMFAO

Change that you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun!

Last edited Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am | Scroll up

in Off Topic Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:05 pm
by Vaquero | 156 Posts

Why do I see John Belushi as Bluto from Animal House when I read GP's story?

no fear, no doubt, all in, balls out!

Scroll up

in Off Topic Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:59 pm
by Larry W | 158 Posts

Zitat von Vaquero
Why do I see John Belushi as Bluto from Animal House when I read GP's story?

Was thinking the same thing Vaq, just could not remember the characters name. Laughing when I think of it.

Larry

Scroll up

ref="http://www.mybannermaker.com" target="_blank">Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: SueKaler
Board Statistics
The forum has 1099 topics and 2418 posts.

0 members have been online today: