Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Olympic figure skating champion Brian Boitano came out on Thursday, two days after he was named to the U. [url=http://www.lakers

in The Daily Diatribe Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:19 am
by jokergreen0220 | 75 Posts

Olympic figure skating champion Brian Boitano came out on Thursday, two days after he was named to the U. Vlade Divac Jersey .S. delegation for Sochi along with openly gay athletes Billie Jean King and Caitlin Cahow. The 1988 gold medallist had always kept his personal life private, saying in a statement that "being gay is just one part of who I am." But President Barack Obamas decision to include openly gay athletes in the delegation for the opening and closing ceremonies -- and not send high-ranking officials -- was widely seen as a message to Russia about its treatment of gays and lesbians. "First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance," Boitano said in his statement. "As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations." Russia has come under fierce criticism for passing national laws banning "gay propaganda," and some suggested the United States should boycott the Sochi Olympics in protest. Obama rejected that idea earlier this year, saying a stronger statement could be made by "gay and lesbian athletes bringing home the gold or silver or bronze." But his choices for the U.S. delegation left little doubt about Obamas disapproval of the new Russian law. For the first time since 2000, the U.S. will not send a president, former president, first lady or vice-president to the Olympics. This years group is led by former Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, and others in the delegation include U.S. Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul, deputy Secretary of State William Burns and presidential adviser Rob Nabors. Of the five athletes in the delegation, three -- Boitano, King and Cahow -- are openly gay. Boitano and King will attend the opening ceremony. Cahow, a two-time medallist in womens hockey, will attend the closing ceremony with Olympic speed skating champions Bonnie Blair and Eric Heiden. "I have been fortunate to represent the United States of America in three different Olympics, and now I am honoured to be part of the presidential delegation to the Olympics in Sochi," Boitano, who is in Europe, said in his statement. "It has been my experience from competing around the world and in Russia that Olympic athletes can come together in friendship, peace and mutual respect regardless of their individual countrys practices." Earlier this month, IOC President Thomas Bach said Russia would set up public protest zones in Sochi for "people who want to express their opinion or want to demonstrate for or against something." Meanwhile, the IOC approved a letter going out to athletes reminding them to refrain from protests or political gestures during the Sochi Games -- reiterating Rule 50 of the Olympic charter, which forbids demonstrations on Olympic grounds. Bach previously said hed received assurances from Russian President Vladimir Putin that gays will not be discriminated against in Sochi. But the Russian law has raised questions about what could happen to athletes who wear pins or badges or carry flags supporting gay rights. Tyler Ennis Jersey . -- Arizona came out of its last meeting with California a bit discombobulated, hurting from its first loss and the loss of forward Brandon Ashley for the rest of the season. Kyle Kuzma Jersey .com) - Theres nothing better for a team than to send out the staff ace in the most important game of the season. http://www.lakersbasketballshop.com/Kobe-Bryant-Jersey/ . Terrance Broadway threw for 227 yards and Hunter Stover kicked three field goals as the Ragin Cajuns won an unprecedented fourth straight New Orleans Bowl with a 16-3 triumph over Nevada.SAN DIEGO -- Kyle Blanks big night became another frustrating one for the Philadelphia Phillies. Blanks singled home the winning run in the 10th inning for his career-best fourth hit, and the San Diego Padres rallied from a three-run deficit in the ninth to beat Philadelphia 4-3 on Monday. Blanks also had a two-run single and scored the tying run on a passed ball as the Padres fought back against Cliff Lee and struggling closer Jonathan Papelbon. When he came to bat in the 10th, Blanks knew a hit would set his career high. "I kind of had that in the back of my mind," he said. "Its been that kind of elusive game for me. Its always fun to have those and Im looking forward to having a lot more." Looking for his 10th win of the season, Lee took a six-hit shutout into the ninth but lasted only three more pitches. Carlos Quentin led off with a single and went to third when Chase Headley followed with a double that ended Lees night. On came Papelbon, who gave up a two-run single to Blanks on his first pitch. Jesus Guzman was hit by a pitch, but Papelbon had a chance to get out of the jam after Yasmani Grandal grounded into a double play that left Blanks at third. Instead, Blanks scored on a passed ball by catcher Carlos Ruiz. Mark Kotsay swung and missed at a 2-0 pitch, but the ball got past Ruiz and went to the backstop. With a headfirst slide, Blanks just beat Ruizs throw to Papelbon covering the plate. Papelbon had converted all 13 of his save opportunities going into last week, but hes blown four of five attempts since -- several in particularly frustrating fashion. "I dont know what is worse, losing 15-0 or getting beat that way. Either way, its a loss and it doesnt sit well with me," Papelbon said. The Phillies were handed an opportunity to go back ahead in the 10th. Jimmy Rollins led off with a single and Chase Utley flied out to deep centre. But when Chris Denorfia tried to throw the ball back to the infield, it slipped out of his hand and trickled away for an error that allowed Rollins to go all the way to third. Michael Young, however, struck out on three pitches against Luke Gregerson before Joe Thatcher (3-1) retired Domonic Brown on a fly to centre. In the bottom half, Denorffia drew a one-out walk from Justin De Fratus (2-1) and Quentin was hit by a pitch. James Worthy Jersey. . Headley walked on a full count to load the bases and Blanks singled down the third base line. "He was a guy I hadnt faced before," Blanks said. "I picked a little off the video. The first pitch was a slider in the dirt and I swung. The second pitch I was just looking to get down early and stay back enough to put something hard into play. I got enough of it and the ball hugged the line." Utley homered and Ruiz had an RBI single for the Phillies. Rollins hit a sacrifice fly. Eric Stults pitched a strong game for the Padres in his career-high 16th start of the season. Stults allowed two runs and seven hits in seven innings, with four strikeouts and no walks. He has given up two earned runs or less in each of his last six starts. Ruiz and John Mayberry Jr. each had three hits. Utley hit his eighth homer in the eighth off reliever Tommy Layne, called up earlier in the day from the minors. NOTES: Phillies 1B Ryan Howard sat out with a sore left knee. Kevin Frandsen took his starting spot. ... Phillies RHP Roy Halladay, on the disabled list since May 6 with a right shoulder injury, played catch from 50-60 feet, according to pitching coach Rich Dubee. "He wanted to start throwing with me and this is his third day doing it," Dubee said. "It looks very, very good." ... Dubee took manager Charlie Manuels place during the pregame session with the media because Manuel was under the weather. Manuel did take his spot in the dugout at game time. ... Headley batted cleanup for the first time this season after hitting in the No. 3 spot in his previous 61 games. ... Padres manager Bud Black said 2B Jedd Gyorko, on the DL with a right groin strain since June 10, could be headed out on a rehab assignment Tuesday. "He ran the bases (Monday) and came out of it fine," Black said. "We are working through the scenario to getting Jedd out to play in a minor league game or two. And from that point we will reassess how his leg is doing and make a determination whether he joins us on the road (later in the week)." ... Phillies RHP Kyle Kendrick (6-4, 3.56 ERA) faces RHP Jason Marquis (9-2, 3.59) on Tuesday night. Wholesale Jerseys 2019 Cheap Jerseys Online Stitched Jerseys Youth NFL Jerseys China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Wholesale NFL White Jerseys ' ' '

Scroll up

ref="http://www.mybannermaker.com" target="_blank">Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: zxlbxj1
Board Statistics
The forum has 1223 topics and 2546 posts.

1 member has been online today :
riluowanying123